Friday, January 28, 2011

Mission Trip "Changed 2011" Part 6


BreAnna's Journal from Wednesday, Jan. 19 :

AM: Today we took a nice, long drive out to Woliso and the orphanage there. We arrive, and these kids get super excited. Then the older boys get together and sing... let me tell you, those kids are talented! They sang for us, and then we played and hung out with them. I got to hold a 4 month old baby for a while. He was so cute… fairly alert, just very skinny, which is hard to see in a baby. I also got to help make injera…well, I got to pour it out on the stove, and it turned out quite well! I did some jump-roping, kicking a ball around, etc. It was fun to see the kids get excited about the basketball hoop we gave them.



The highlight of my day was when I picked up a tiny, little girl who was maybe 2 ½ years old. I started rocking back and forth with her and in 2 minutes she was zonked out. I held her for about an hour before we had to leave. There is emptiness in my arms where she laid, and a section in my heart that she took. What I would do to bring her home and give her a family! I hate the injustice in life. Instead of loving a little girl forever, I drove off.




We headed back to the Guest House. The drive was incredible. Round mud huts with grass roofs, naked children, rich-shaws, donkeys, round haystacks, women with bundles…it was all how we picture Africa in the U.S.







-PM: We went to a cultural dinner. I loved it. Peter and Elza, and the other drivers, explained the food and dancing to us. It was a wonderful time getting to know each other.

1 comment:

  1. Was the orphanage you visited in Woliso called "Abdii Waaqa" ? If so, do you have any more pictures from there?

    ReplyDelete