Friday, January 28, 2011

Mission Trip "Changed 2011" Part 4b

BreAnna's Journal from Monday PM, Jan. 17 :

-This afternoon we hopped in the vans to head to Onesimus. It’s an outreach to street kids. They say that the city views these kids as useless, but Onesimus views them as useful and valuable in God’s eyes. These kids were so poor, so destitute, it was unbelievable. It really did break my heart. I talked to one boy for a long time. He said that I am his sister because we both believe in Jesus, and “I am such a good friend to him”; yet tonight…while I sleep in a house in a warm, soft bed, he sleeps on the streets. If there ever was an appropriate reason to cuss, that would be it….and I think God understands that I am cursing the injustice in the world, I am cussing at satan, sin, and my complacency. These children are valued by God…they are beautiful and important to Him…and I curse the one, satan, who loves to see them suffer in an unjust world. I curse myself for not caring. Shame on me. Nega, the founder/leader of Onesimus was so great. He told us his hopes for the future, how he ministers to the street children, the attempts for re-uniting families, and about the halfway homes which are homes for children who have absolutely no one they know alive and no ideas where they came from. Nega is an incredible man of faith... all the Christians who have ministries here are…they started these ministries before they had resources, and they barely have anything at all now. Yet they have this huge vision for the future. I was completely humbled. I don’t even have faith when I DO have resources.

-PM: Today was so wonderful and fun and God-filled, but it was very hard for me on so many levels. First of all, this morning one of the leaders shared about a leper and how no one loved him, etc. I was reminded of Nepal, where I spent almost an entire summer, and had the opportunity to minister to lepers. Today I kept thinking “Shame on me. Shame on me for forgetting/ignoring those people who God called me to love and care for, and I’m not now.” “Shame on me” is my phrase for today. I am ashamed of my material wealth. I am ashamed at how little I give. I am ashamed at my complacency, and I am just overwhelmed with the magnitude of poverty. Touching these people brings it home.

I can picture my little sister Faith walking the streets like the rest of these children. She could be here, barely surviving. There are 4.5 million in Ethiopia like her.

- God is changing our whole team, I can see it. He’s taking complacent, selfish people and showing them that they need to have a bigger perspective. He is showing us that we are called to more than where we are at right now. The Bible says “A man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions”. Have I read those words by Jesus before? Do I believe them? I say I do, but my lifestyle doesn’t. Rather than storing up possessions here on earth, I want to store up treasure that last forever. I can trust that God will give me all I need, although His definition of need is different than mine! I want to be ready for Jesus to return. He could come today. “Do I believe the reward found in Jesus is worth the risk of following Him?” (Quote from Radical) Jesus is worth giving it all up for!

No comments:

Post a Comment